Busiest November ever for Stansted sees annual passenger total hit 22.4m
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport today reported its busiest November on record, with more than 1.7million passengers passing through its newly-upgraded terminal during the month.
The figure of 1.701m was 6.9% up on the November 2014 total of 1.591m and takes the airport’s rolling annual total to 22.422m, 13.6% up on the figure of 19.735m for the previous 12 months.
Stansted’s previous record total for November was 1.65m, achieved in 2006, before the onset of the credit crunch and the subsequent recession.
Last month also saw the airport achieve its highest ever load factor for November with an average of 84.6% of available seats beng occupied on each flight, beating the previous best of 81.8% set last year.
Cargo tonnages also increased last month, with the November total of 22.045t representing a 3.0% increase on the same month a year ago and the rolling annual total of 235,483t being 6.2% higher compared with the previous 12 months.
Passenger numbers at Stansted have risen sharply since it was acquired two-and-a-half years ago by Manchester Airports Group (MAG), since when the main terminal building has undergone an £80m reconfiguration.
Andrew Harrison, managing director a Stansted, said: “The busiest ever November at Stansted and a record breaking number of passengers on each flight once again demonstrates the significant progress that has been achieved at the airport since acquisition by MAG in 2013.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
“There is now a real feeling of positivity and vibrancy about Stansted as well as a growing sense of momentum following 20 successive months of passenger growth and 5m passengers using the airport each year than in early 2013.
“Stansted has consistently been one of Europe’s fastest growing major airports over the last two years, and having already achieved a record breaking start to the winter season, I’m confident this strong growth trend to continue in the coming months.”