Business evacuated after smoke shock

STAFF were evacuated from a Stowmarket business today after smoke was spotted.

John Howard

STAFF were evacuated from a Stowmarket business today after smoke was spotted.

In the homebrew packing area at Muntons plc at 9am workers on the homebrew packing line noticed smoke coming from an area used to pack trays of beer and wine making kits.

The fire alarm was sounded, the fire brigade contacted, and all personnel evacuated within a few minutes.


You may also want to watch:


Firefighters from the town attended and the cause of the smoke was found to be an overheated motor, with the prompt action of staff preventing any further damage.

A spokesman for the firm said that the equipment where the smoke was seen was dismantled and overhauled and was back in full production within four hours.

Most Read

No other machinery or products were affected by the incident.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus