Businessman dies in Suffolk road tragedy
The father of Suffolk County Council leader Colin Noble has died following a road crash.
Lawrence Noble, 76, could not be revived at the scene of the single-vehicle accident on Bury Road in Newmarket. He was a well-known businessman in Lakenheath, where his family lives.
The accident happened at about 12.30pm on Thursday and Colin Noble was told within the hour – shortly before the meeting was due to begin at 2pm. The meeting was postponed.
Current council chairman Jane Storey made the announcement as members assembled for the meeting and said it had been agreed to cancel it after discussing the situation with other group leaders.
The Archdeacon of Suffolk Ven Ian Morgan was in the council chamber to lead the thought for the day and instead lead councillors and officers in a short silence to mark the tragedy before everyone dispersed.
County council chief executive Deborah Cadman sent a message to employees after speaking to Colin Noble. It said: “It is with great sadness that I must share with you the news that Cllr Colin Noble’s father has died unexpectedly in a car accident.
“Naturally our thoughts are with Cllr Noble and his family at this devastating time.”
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 3 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 6 See inside this 'chocolate box' cottage up for sale for £435,000
- 7 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 8 Mike Bacon: Luke Woolfenden.... going nowhere, going everywhere
- 9 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 10 Young couple launch new food truck at Orford Castle
A police statement said they were investigating the possibility that Lawrence Noble could have had a medical episode before the accident, in which his car was in collision with a tree.
The statement said that the next of kin had been informed and that a dog was also found dead in the car following the accident.