Chelmsford: Paralympian Danny Crates to take part in Birketts’ Race4Business
- Credit: Archant
Danny Crates, the Paralympic gold medallist from Essex, will be taking part in this year’s Birketts’ Race4Business in Chelmsford on Thursday, June 26.
Richard Wollaston, a consultant at law firm Birketts, who established the race in 1998 and will bow out as organiser after this year’s event, said: “We are thrilled that Danny will be taking part. Danny grew up in Essex and has reached the very top of his profession.
“When I first set-up this event I never dreamt that a world record holder would one day be running! Danny is a true sporting great who is an inspiration to so many. His involvement really helps to shine a light on our chosen charity.”
Danny enjoyed a hugely successful sporting career and represented Great Britain at three Paralympic games as well as holding an ambassador role for the London 2012 bid. He famously won gold in the men’s 800 meters T46 final at the Athens 2004 Paralympic Games, a year which also saw him set a new world record.
Danny said: “Richard and the team at Birketts have achieved a fantastic amount for charities throughout the Essex region over the years. They do a fantastic amount in the local community and I’m delighted to lend my support.”
You may also want to watch:
Richard added: “During the 16 years that I’ve been organising this event we’ve raised a staggering £450,000 for charities. I want to encourage as many businesses as possible to come and have a good day out.
“I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved but I’d desperately like to smash through the £500,000 barrier. Registrations close next week, so if you’d like to run against a true sporting icon register today.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
More than 1,000 runners have already registered for this year’s 3.5 mile race, which starts beside Lloyds Bank in High Street, snakes through the parks, and finishes at Birketts’ offices in New London Road.
For more information, or to register, visit www.birketts.co.uk/race4business.