Chelmsford: Paralympian Danny Crates to take part in Birketts’ Race4Business
- Credit: Archant
Danny Crates, the Paralympic gold medallist from Essex, will be taking part in this year’s Birketts’ Race4Business in Chelmsford on Thursday, June 26.
Richard Wollaston, a consultant at law firm Birketts, who established the race in 1998 and will bow out as organiser after this year’s event, said: “We are thrilled that Danny will be taking part. Danny grew up in Essex and has reached the very top of his profession.
“When I first set-up this event I never dreamt that a world record holder would one day be running! Danny is a true sporting great who is an inspiration to so many. His involvement really helps to shine a light on our chosen charity.”
Danny enjoyed a hugely successful sporting career and represented Great Britain at three Paralympic games as well as holding an ambassador role for the London 2012 bid. He famously won gold in the men’s 800 meters T46 final at the Athens 2004 Paralympic Games, a year which also saw him set a new world record.
Danny said: “Richard and the team at Birketts have achieved a fantastic amount for charities throughout the Essex region over the years. They do a fantastic amount in the local community and I’m delighted to lend my support.”
Richard added: “During the 16 years that I’ve been organising this event we’ve raised a staggering £450,000 for charities. I want to encourage as many businesses as possible to come and have a good day out.
“I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved but I’d desperately like to smash through the £500,000 barrier. Registrations close next week, so if you’d like to run against a true sporting icon register today.”
- 1 15 strikers that Ipswich Town could turn to for goals this summer
- 2 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 3 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 5 miles of congestion on A14 after crash involving car and two lorries
- 6 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 7 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 8 Family's support for 'mum-in-a-million' after double amputation for sepsis
- 9 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 10 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
More than 1,000 runners have already registered for this year’s 3.5 mile race, which starts beside Lloyds Bank in High Street, snakes through the parks, and finishes at Birketts’ offices in New London Road.
For more information, or to register, visit www.birketts.co.uk/race4business.