Coggeshall: Wine centre up for design award
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
AN INNOVATIVE wine tasting centre in Essex has been shortlisted for an award - before it’s even opened.
Coggeshall’s West Street Vineyard impressed judges from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) for their custom-built and environmentally friendly barn during their visit earlier this month.
The centre, which will showcase wines from East Anglia and the rest of the country, features light fittings made from recycled wine bottles and recycling cardboard as underfloor heating.
Husband and wife owners Stephen and Jane Mohan purchased the boutique micro-vineyard in 2009 and the couple has expanded the site from 800 vines to cover a 5.5 acre estate.
Mrs Mohan said: “We’re delighted to have been shortlisted as we’re not even open yet.
You may also want to watch:
“The award is about how a building is used and how efficient it is, not just about how pretty they look. Our building is innovative in what it tries to do.
“It’s a regional wine centre which is completely unique to England.”
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
The barn is built from glass and timber and has a natural slate roof to blend in with the surrounding landscape.
Mr and Mrs Mohan will find out if they have won the RICS Award in May.
The centre will also bring a welcome boost to the local economy, employing 20 people from the Braintree district.
In addition to offering educational wine courses for enthusiasts and tasting days, West Street Vineyards will serve afternoon tea, lunch and gourmet dinners in the evening.
The official opening will take place on April 23.