Colchester: £5m hotel complex with river front restaurant could create 70 jobs
- Credit: contributed
A £5million hotel complex, which could generate up to 70 new jobs, is being proposed for Colchester.
Property firm, the Elysium Group, has submitted a formal planning application for the scheme, which involves the redevelopment of the River Lodge pub in Middleborough.
The plans include a 150-seater river front restaurant and wine bar, together with a 50-bed hotel.
The firm, which acquired the building in 2012, has carried out a detailed consultation with Colchester Borough Council’s planning officers and also held a public consultation last August.
In a statement, the company said it had “received overwhelming support from local residents and businesses” for the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
It continued: “The proposed development will deliver much needed quality hotel accommodation which will benefit the town’s tourism industry as well as bringing a positive contribution to the immediate area and the Colchester economy as a whole and as a catalyst for the Colchester North Station master plan.”
The development is one of eight venues owned by the Elysium Group in the town. The company says the £5m development will create around 50 to 70 new jobs which will be recruited locally, as will the contractors and tradesmen need to build the development.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears