Colchester store scoops BBA’s regional best independent bookshop title
- Credit: Red Lion Books
A Colchester book store is celebrating after being shortlisted for a national award.
Red Lion Books has been shortlisted for Independent Bookshop of the Year at the British Book Awards (BBA), after scooping the award for best independent bookshop in South-East England.
It will now compete with seven other regional winners for the national title, and a cheque for £5,000 towards improvements, which will be revealed at an awards event in London on May 14.
Owners Sarah and Peter Donaldsons said they were “thrilled” at the accolade.
“It is such a boost to have our hard work recognised,” they said.
You may also want to watch:
“We enjoy sharing our enthusiasm for books with our customers through the year and have been overwhelmed by the expressions of support and congratulations we’ve received.
“We’re so pleased now just for our name to be ‘in the hat’ for the national award along with the other regional winners - all of them fantastic, dedicated, characterful shops serving their communities with creativity, passion and pride.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 10 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
Red Lion Books was chosen for the regional prize by a panel of expert judges, who read testimonials by local customers who submitted online to the BBA website.
Founded in 1978 by the Donaldsons, the store boasts four different book clubs, a gallery space for artworks, and organises many author events throughout the year. 2017 highlights have included ‘civilised Saturday’, a day where customers were served sherry while getting on with their Christmas shopping, and an event with Sarah Perry which raised £890 for Read Easy UK.