Colchester; Work starts new �2.5million Retail Park on Peartree Road in Colchester
Work has started on a new �2.5million Retail Park on Peartree Road in Colchester, offering 35,000 sq ft of new shopping space for the west of the town.
The development, next door to the existing East of England Co-operative Society Supermarket, is being carried out by Ardencrest, the Society’s property company.
Main contractor Barnes Construction were due to start work on Monday, July 30, and the retail park is due to be finished in early 2013.
The development, which was granted planning permission in January, will be built as four units. These units will be available to let separately, each with the option of a mezzanine level to provide additional space, or together as a 35,000 sq ft store.
Nick Denny, Executive Officer – Property for the East of England Co-operative Society, said: “This is an exciting development for the Society and for Colchester. The units provide the opportunity for retailers to position themselves in a key location in Colchester on a site which is anchored by our successful supermarket.
“Our property portfolio is an important part of the Society across East Anglia, and this development is part of our plan to grow the business for the future.”
The new retail park will have a total of 400 parking spaces for the new retail units, as well as the East of England Co-op store, and existing tenants Hatfields who run a store on the Peartree Road site.
- 1 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 4 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 14 players that Town could target for a creative spark
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 9 'He's an amazing guy... a legend' - United keeper de Gea's praise for new Town coach Grant
- 10 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
The first phase of the development was the �5million new build East of England Co-op Supermarket which opened in April 2007. This replaced the previous co-op store on the site and has offices above that are leased to businesses and organisations.
The Co-op supermarket is also home to branches of the society’s travel, optical and mobility businesses, and a petrol forecourt.