Daily, monthly and annual records broken at Stansted Airport as July passenger total tops 2.58m
- Credit: Archant
Stansted has reported its busiest ever month with more than 2.58m passengers passing through the airport during July.
The figure represents an increase of 10.5% compared with the same month last year and beats the previous monthly record set exactly 10 years ago, in July 2007.
Last month also saw the airport’s busiest ever day, with a total of 91,493 passengers passing through the terminal on July 31.
As already announced by the airport, July also saw the rolling annual passenger total at Stansted pass the 25m mark for the first time, with the figure reaching 25.153m by the end of the month – an increase of 6.6% on the previous 12 month period.
Announcing the latest daily and monthly records, Stansted added that work has now begun on a number of projects, together costing around £50m, to provide extra check-in capacity, more seating in the departure lounge and additional aircraft parking stands in order to keep pace with growing demand.
This will be followed by the construction of a new £130m arrivals hall which was granted planning permission in April and will allow the current building to be given over entirely to departures, making Stansted the only UK airport operating dedicated arrivals and departures terminals.
Stansted Airport’s asset management director, Karen Smart, said: “The growth in passenger traffic at London Stansted continues to demonstrate the vital role the airport plays in providing more destinations across Europe and beyond that not only gives passengers fantastic choice to fly from their local airport but it also highlights our importance as a major gateway to London and the East of England for those visiting the UK this summer.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Highways chiefs fear 'severe impact' of 1,375-home plans
- 3 When will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk today?
- 4 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 5 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Highways officials to discuss speed limits on busy Suffolk road
- 9 Road closed after two-vehicle crash in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
“As these results clearly show, the airport has never been busier, so to help us keep pace with increased demand and improve the passenger experience, we have started a significant investment programme to deliver a wide range of projects over the next five years to transform the airport and support sustainable growth on our single runway.”
Cargo volumes at Stansted also increased again last month, with more 21,200 tonnes of goods passing through the airport in July, up 2.1% over the same month in 2016. The rolling annual total grew by 4.5% over the previous year to more than 259,100 tonnes.