David Wilson Homes golf day raises cash for Aaron Lewis Foundation
- Credit: Archant
The regional arm of David Wilson Homes has raised £17,000 at a golf day, held at Stoke by Nayland, for a charity set up in memory of a soldier.
The money will go to the Aaron Lewis Foundation (ALF) which was established in memory of Lieutenant Aaron Lewis who was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2008.
David Wilson Homes Eastern Counties chose ALF as its charity for the year after a road was named after Lt Lewis at a development in Hockley, Essex, not far from from Aaron’s home town of Rochford.
The annual golf event is the housebuilder’s largest fundraiser of the year. During the day, 128 golfers took part in various competitions with a host of prizes up for grabs including for the longest drive and landing nearest the pin.
The fundraising continued into the evening with a dinner and auction which raised £9,000. Lots in the auction included a gold plated commando knife presented by Aaron’s parents Barry and Helen Lewis, a football shirt signed by Ronaldo and a flag from the 18th green at the 2014 Open signed by Rory McIlroy.
You may also want to watch:
David Eardley, managing director at David Wilson Homes Eastern Counties, said: “Our charity golf day has always proved to be hugely successful and this year was no exception as we raised our highest amount to date.
“We are extremely proud to support the Aaron Lewis Foundation and the excellent work they do and this money will make a huge difference to many lives. Our fundraising at David Wilson Homes does not stop here. We have a number of events lined up for the remainder of the year in aid of the charity and we are looking forward to adding to our total.”
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 8 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 9 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
- 10 A12 reopened after three-car crash