Earl Soham food maker Scarlett & Mustard scoops best newcomer award at House of Commons event
The co-founder of a food enterprise based in Suffolk has scooped a ‘Best Newcomer’ award at an event hosted by the House of Commons in London.
Sandy Ruddock, co-founder of condiments and sauces company Scarlett & Mustard, based at Earl Soham, near Framlingham, won the category in first-ever Investec Food & Drink Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
Entrepreneur Luke Johnson of Pizza Express, Patisserie Valerie and Feng Sushi presented the accolade at a ceremony on Thursday.
Sandy said she was “overwhelmed and delighted” to have won against fierce competition.
“We started in early 2012 quite by accident at our kitchen table with our unusual family dressing,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“Since that day we have grown at a phenomenal pace, now supplying our range of 24 products – dressings, oils, marinades and curds - to over 500 UK retailers, including Selfridges, Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, Harvey Nichols, Booths, Waitrose and numerous smaller chains and independent shops. We are also exporting a number of products to the Middle East and Europe.”
The judging panel included Lord Bilimoria of Cobra Beer, Julian Metcalfe of Pret a Manger and Sahar Hashemi of Coffee Republic as well as Sam Parker of Business is GREAT Britain.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
The judges said: “Sandy has displayed real determination in pushing forward her brand so successfully in just over two years in what is quite a crowded marketplace. She has achieved listings in many absolutely top notch outlets and already tackling the export market. Well done.”
James Stirling of Investec, said: “Investec is delighted to be sponsoring the Food & Drink Entrepreneur of the Year awards. Britain continues to foster world-beating innovation in this industry, with some of the most exciting new brands in recent years originating from these shores. The Food & Drink sector has always been a key focus of activity for Investec, having worked with so many successful entrepreneurs in this space over the years, and Sandy Ruddock is a truly worthy winner of the Best Newcomer category, chosen from a magnificent field.”
Scarlett & Mustard was co-founded by husband and wife team Sandy Ruddock and Julian Pollard in April 2012. Products include a range of dressings & marinades, infused English rapeseed oil, a chilli jam and a range of fruit curds.