East Anglia: Archant chief becomes president of Newspaper Society
ADRIAN Jeakings, the chief executive of regional media group Archant, whose titles include the East Anglian Daily Times and the Ipswich Star, has become president of the Newspaper Society.
The Newspaper Society (NS) represents and promotes the interests of Britain’s regional and local media. It was founded in 1836 and is believed to be the oldest publishers’ association in the world.
Adrian Jeakings, succeeds Geraldine Allinson, chairman of the Kent Messenger Group, in the role of president.
He said: “I would like to thank Geraldine for all the excellent work she has done to promote the important work of local newspapers across the UK.
“The NS plays an invaluable role in promoting the unique strengths and qualities of our industry, through initiatives such as the immensely successful Local Business Accelerators campaign, and I look forward to continuing this good work over the coming year.”
Mr Jeakings joined the Archant board as finance director in October 2002 and became chief executive in November 2008. He is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and was group finance director of The Stationery Office before joining Archant.
He was previously treasurer and vice-president of the Newspaper Society and sits on the society’s board. He is also a director of the PA Group Limited, a member of the audit committee of the University of East Anglia and a governor of Norwich School.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
- 10 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
A new NS president is elected from the membership every year in July.