East Anglia: MP backs NFU harvest sticker scheme
- Credit: Archant
Central Suffolk MP Dan Poulter is backing a new initiative to build greater understanding between motorists and farmers during harvest. Thousands of National Farmers’ Union vehicle stickers have gone out to farmers to highlight what is going on in fields. “Farmers are working extremely hard at this time of year, bringing in the harvest, but it can also be a frustrating time for anyone held up by slow-moving agricultural vehicles,” he said.
Among the farmers using them is Robert Rous at Dennington. He has put the thank you stickers on trailers carrying wheat from the fields back to the farm.
“I welcome this NFU initiative to thank motorists for their support and patience during harvest and to make the link between the vehicle in front of them and the food on our plates.”
The stickers are designed are designed to be fixed to the bodywork of vehicles including trailers, tractors and combines. They read: “Thank you for backing British farming as we deliver the nation’s food.”
Mr Rous said: “Anything that helps build understanding with the public is a good idea.
You may also want to watch:
“We brief our drivers to pull over whenever they can, but it can be difficult on narrow rural roads. I hope people also understand the pressures that farm businesses are under when harvest is in full swing. We don’t want to inconvenience the public but we do have a job that needs to be done.”
NFU Suffolk County Adviser Rachel Carrington said the stickers were proving extremely popular with NFU members.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 5 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
“These stickers are a great way for farmers to thank people for their support and to highlight the work they are doing, gathering in the huge variety of crops and produce we all enjoy,” she said.