Eastern Suffolk Sheep Club Carcase Competition Results April 18, 2012
ANOTHER very successful carcass competition was held this year at CJ Byford, Little Clacton, with a total of 29 lambs from 9 breeders. 20 pure Suffolk lambs and 9 crossbred lambs were entered in the 4 classes which were judged by Mr George Debman, retail butcher from Ipswich.
At the viewing, Mr Debman thanked the club for inviting him to judge and commented on how pleased he was to see such an event happening at one of the few smaller abattoirs in the region.
He was delighted with the standard of the entries and was looking forward to selling some of the lambs in his shop. There was a wide variety of weights ranging from 14.5 kg up to 28.5kg but the majority were in the ideal weight range of 17-24 kg. We all then enjoyed a meal at the Shepherd & Dog at Langham.
Our thanks go to Chris & Charles Meekins for their generous sponsorship and for attending the viewing to present the prizes. Thanks also to CJ Byford for hosting the evening and purchasing the lambs at �5.25/kg deadweight. The champion lamb grossed �128 with over half of the entry making more than �100 per head.
The results were as follows:
You may also want to watch:
Pure bred Suffolk lambs - heavy class 20 kg and over
1st R Partridge & Son Ltd, Kersey Flock
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
2nd MJ & JA Pinny, Alloaks Flock
3rd MJ & JA Pinny, Alloaks Flock
Pure bred Suffolk lambs – light class under 20kg
1st Mrs V Wolton, Fishpond Flock
2nd R Partridge & Son Ltd, Kersey Flock
3rd R Partridge & Son Ltd, Kersey Flock
Crossbred lambs sired by a Suffolk ram – heavy class 17kg and over
1st R Partridge & Son Ltd
2nd MJ & JA Pinny
3rd AH Bradshaw & Son
Crossbred lambs sired by a Suffolk ram – light class under 17kg
1st R Partridge & Son Ltd
2nd R Partridge & Son Ltd
3rd WMA James
Heavy pure Suffolk lamb from R Partridge & Son Ltd, Kersey Flock
Reserve Champion Carcass:
Heavy cross bred lamb from R Partridge & Son Ltd
Congratulations to Chris & Sarah Partridge for their champion carcass, a worthy winner of the John Keeble Memorial Trophy and thanks to all concerned with this event, particularly Ray Woolway for helping with the transport of many of the lambs and making the long journey back to Clacton for the viewing.
Main sponsorship organised by Chris Meekins Ruminant Nutrition Ltd
Championship cash prizes sponsored by EBLEX