Ava Prentice is top apprentice
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk and Norfolk college’s new Apprentice of the Year is the aptly-named ‘A Prentice’.
Ava Prentice, of Easton and Otley College, was awarded the top prize at its annual apprenticeship awards, which took place at Wingfield Barns, near Stradbroke, on March 7.
Ava, 20, from Earl Stonham, near Stowmarket, worked in the fast food industry to save up money to buy a car so she could look for jobs further afield, and went on to secure an apprenticeship post at Suffolk Farmhouse Cheeses at Coddenham.
“My partner was into farming and my grandparents had some sheep when I was growing up, so when I saw a role as an apprentice dairy farmer, I went for it,” she said. “It was a fantastic way to earn and learn. The college has been really supportive. I recommend Easton and Otley to others.”
Chair of governors Mark Pendlington and principal Jane Townsend handed out 23 award to individuals, businesses and tutors in front of about 150 guests.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Townsend said: “This evening is one of those moments where all of us get to share some of our student and employer experiences and achievements with a huge sense of pride. This is without doubt one of the highlights of our year. I’d like to congratulate Ava and indeed all of our winners on their achievements.”
Staff member Darren Lambert scooped a top assessor award and Kelvin Gunnell from Orwell Park School was named Mentor of the Year. Other Suffolk based winners included Fram Farmers, Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club and Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf and Spa.
- 1 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 10 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs