Essex directors back Stansted growth
A SURVEY of the 2,000 members of the Essex Branch of the Institute of Directors has shown clear support for expansion plans at Stansted Airport. The business benefits resulting from expansion at Stansted were seen as “very important” by 55% of respondent with a further 2% seeing them as “important” - a total support level of 75%.
A SURVEY of the 2,000 members of the Essex Branch of the Institute of Directors has shown clear support for expansion plans at Stansted Airport.
The business benefits resulting from expansion at Stansted were seen as “very important” by 55% of respondent with a further 2% seeing them as “important” - a total support level of 75%.
However, 90% agreed with the view that the environmental impact of expansion was a key factor that had to be taken into account. Just 10% of respondents were neutral on this point, with none viewing it “not important”.
Two-thirds of respondents supported the airport's expansion plans, with just under a third opposed and the balance (5%) having no view.
On the wider issue of development along the M11 corridor and the increased urbanisation of north Essex that will be spurred by expansion at Stansted, 50% either welcomed it or gave it a “cautious welcome”, dependant on completion of the necessary infrastructure, while 35% were opposed and 10% were neutral on the issue.
Respondents also showed themselves to be heavy users of Stansted, with 60% having used the airport for business travel up to five times in the past 12 months and 70% having done so for pleasure.
- 1 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 2 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 3 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 4 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 5 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 6 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 7 Revealed: The wealthiest people in East Anglia on the Sunday Times Rich List
- 8 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 9 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 10 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
Essex IoD chairman Paul Rolison said: “This survey shows continued support for Stansted's plans among our members, tempered with concern about the environmental impact.
“But the business benefits are clear: Stansted plays a vital role in attracting inward investment into Essex and the region. Our region cannot develop solely on transacting business within our own community. To prosper we need inward investment, and Stansted makes a major contribution to that process.”