Essex farmers set to toast 100 years of farming history with NFU at Case New Holland plant
- Credit: Archant
Essex farmers will be raising a glass to 100 years of farming history as the county National Farmers’ Union (NFU) branch marks its centenary on Thursday.
They will be joining current county chairman Patrick Wreathall in a toast to the NFU at a location that has also played an important role in farming – Case New Holland’s Basildon tractor plant.
The factory, formerly the Ford tractor plant, is celebrating its 50 year anniversary this year and farmers will tour the site before NFU director general Andy Robertson leads the toasts. Other guests at the event include NFU vice president and Essex farmer Guy Smith, NFU regional director Pamela Forbes and former county chairmen.
Patrick, who runs an arable and turkey farming business near Chelmsford, said: “I’m proud to be county chairman in this centenary year and delighted that so many former chairmen are attending on Thursday.
“This is a chance to celebrate everything the NFU has achieved during a century of extraordinary change for agriculture – but also to look at the challenges ahead.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s also fitting that the celebration is taking place in a location that has made such a major contribution to British agriculture over the past 50 years.”
The factory has seen 1.6 million tractors roll off the production line since 1964 and currently has two kilometres of production line within its 40 hectares.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 10 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff