Essex: Revamp of Saracen’s Head hotel creates 30 new jobs
A NORTH Essex hotel has reopened following a major refurbishment which has led to the creation of 30 new jobs.
The revamp of the Saracens Head in Great Dunmow follows its acquisition by Cozy Pubs, founded in 2010 by Paul Cutsforth, Timothy Doyle and Leanne Langman with the aim of building a portfolio of gastro pubs and hotels across the South East.
More than 200 people attended a launch event, at which the mayor of Great Dunmow, John Davey, performed the opening ceremony by pulling an inaugural pint of beer at the bar.
The hotel has 31 bedrooms, including three new suites, and a 60-seat restaurant. The hotel’s functions rooms have also been upgraded.
Mr Davey said: “The new owners have really transformed the place and I really hope it works. Many years ago, this pub was the hub of the town, especially at weekends when it was always packed.
You may also want to watch:
“It has always been a central point for people, making collections and deliveries from the railways, and was the focus of Great Dunmow. I’d really love to see it go back to being that. I wish the new owners every success.”
Mr Cutsforth, a director of Cozy Pubs, saidd: ““We think that this is a fantastic old building that was just crying out for some TLC and that’s just what we’ve worked hard to give it.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“We’ve been working flat out for the last few weeks and have carefully restored the building’s original features and added a few contemporary touches that are perfectly in tune with its age and style.
“We’ve also devised a totally new food and drink offer – and recruited a talented team to cook it fresh every day and to look after our guests - and we can’t wait to get going.”