Essex: Saffron Building Society assets top �1bn for first time
THE Essex-based Saffron Building Society revealed yesterday that its assets have topped �1billion for the first time.
Its total assets stood at �1.086bn at the end of 2011, up 17% from �931million 12 months earlier, cementing its position as the largest independent building society in the eastern region following the merger of the Norwich & Peterborough with the Yorkshire Building Society last year.
Operating profits at the society, which is based in Saffron Walden, grew by 65%, from �1.1m to �1.8m last year. The society said this reflected its continued role as an active mortgage lender, which had seen it recognised among the UK’s top 30 by the Council of Mortgage Lenders, and increased returns from its independent financial advice and insurance broking businesses.
Mortgage balances grew by 10% to �759m during the year, with an industry-leading arrears figure of just 0.08%, while retail balances rose by 25.8% to �986m, the society said.
Chief executive Jon Hall said: “2011 has been a tough year for the economy and for family finances.“At Saffron, we have focused on providing a consistent and fair return for our savers despite the low interest rate environment, actively lent to individual property owners and supported the communities we serve.
You may also want to watch:
“With many increasingly coming around to the view that the mutual way is demonstrably the better way, Saffron’s strong and profitable performance in 2011 serves to prove our resilience to market conditions and supports the high levels of trust our members demonstrate in Saffron,” he added.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 5 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 9 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth