Essex: Sidearm owner urges would-be entrepreneurs to enter Barclays’ Take One Small Step contest
LAST year’s East of England regional winner in a nation-wide contest for start-up business ideas is encouraging fledgling entrepreneurs to take part in the competition this year.
Frank Thorogood won �50,000 as one of nine regional winners in the Take One Small Step competition held for the first time last year by Barclays.
He impressed the judges with his idea for a cricketing coaching aid, known as Sidearm, and thanks to the prize money his invention is now in production.
“The money certainly helped,” said Mr Thorogood, from Chelmsford, I don’t know what I would have done without it to be honest.
“We have now been producing and selling units for eight months and the volume of sales and feedback that we have received has all been really positive.”
You may also want to watch:
Besides encouraging potential entrepreneurs to take part in this year’s competition, which is now open for entries, he also has a tip for catching the eye of the judges.
“The best thing to do if you are planning on applying is to make sure you have a really good video that clearly demonstrates your idea,” he added.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 4 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 9 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 10 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
“It really is the best way to show off your product.”
Nine regional winners will again each receive �50,000 this year, together with free business advice.
The competition is open to existing businesses as well as those who simply have a new idea.
For full details, visit www.takeonesmallstep.co.uk . The closing date for entries in April 27.