Essex Young Farmers: Ongar and Halstead claim rugby honours
- Credit: Archant
As this year’s National Young Farmers Week draws to a close, Essex Young Farmers have been busy recruiting new members and enjoying re-immersing themselves in all things YF, writes Beth Speakman.
At the conclusion of what has been a busy October, as the winter nights draw in so do the parties! October saw several of our clubs hosting their annual harvest suppers including members from mixed clubs and of course our lovely subscribers.
The month was filled with black tie evening events at some amazing Essex venues across the county, including plenty of food and copious levels of alcohol.
The first party of the 2015-2016 YF year was held on October 30 by Chelmsford YFC who entertained us all, en masse with a Halloween theme. In true YF style, the fancy dress outfits did not disappoint and whilst some outfits did not exactly fit with the Halloween theme, these were forgiven due to their sheer entertainment value.
The party was a great success, allowing our new members to socialise with members from various clubs in a relaxed atmosphere.
You may also want to watch:
Following from the Halloween party, we held our Rugby competition between the clubs. Congratulations to Ongar YFC who were the overall winners, with Halstead YFC taking second place.
Our clubs have also been hosting fireworks celebrations throughout early November to commemorate Guy Fawkes night, helping to raise money for the clubs’ various chosen charities, whilst also enjoying any reason for a social gathering.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
It has not all been all fun and games, though, as we have also been holding training events to ensure the new recruits to the various committees are fully prepared for their roles over the next year, including training for the new club chairs and treasurers. We have to be serious sometimes, after all.
Finally, we would all like to congratulate our very own Essex YF member Billy Purkiss on winning his trophy at the National Ploughing Championships 2015 back in October. There was some tough competition but it is great to see Essex YFC members achieving success at a national level. Well done Billy!