Eye: Bank Holiday weekend show cancelled
A POPULAR show, which attracts 20,000 visitors each year, will not be taking place over the August bank holiday weekend because of the effects of the economic downturn and a busy schedule of summer events.
For more than a century, the Eye Show has enthralled crowds at Goodrich Park in Palgrave, but this year the organisers have decided not to stage the event and are planning to make changes to the programme to make the spectacle more attractive to the public.
However, show director Tim Seeley insisted the show’s future was safe and that the extravaganza would return with a new format in 2013.
He said the organisers were also concerned the show would have to compete against other events this summer including the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympic Torch relay and the public might not have the appetite for another show.
“We had a fairly big think about the show and decided for a lot of varying reasons to pause for a year. We are hoping to run a show in 2013 but we had a fairly close analysis of the economy and our key visitors are being hit hard by what is going on in the world, as well as our exhibitors.
You may also want to watch:
“We were certainly worried about what impact the economic downturn would have on our visitor numbers,” Mr Seeley said.
The show features rural pastimes, motoring thrills, aerial displays and unusual animal competitions as well as a Princes of Wales Royal Regiment freefall team.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!