Felixstowe: New multi-million pound pier for resort gets go-ahead
IT’S full steam ahead for Felixstowe’s new pier after the multi-million pound project was today given the go-ahead.
Councillors were full of praise for the striking design of the two-storey complex, which will feature a range of attractions and was hailed as a new landmark for the seaside town.
Suffolk Coastal planners said the substantial investment could act as the catalyst for the regeneration of the resort’s Pier Bight area, bringing more visitors and extra trade for not just the pier but the whole of the seafront.
A few final details still need to be worked out concerning the raising of the prom by 1.2 metres and the future maintenance of sea defences, and the design of ramps and steps to link the pier with the new plaza to be created in front of the leisure centre.
Demolition of the current pier and work on the replacement though is set to start next year.
You may also want to watch:
? See tomorrow’s paper for reaction and full details of the project.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp