Felixstowe: Port closed as gales lash coast
BRITAIN’S biggest port expects to remain closed for the rest of the day as gale-force winds continue to buffet the coast.
Officials at the Port of Felixstowe advised truckers not to travel to the container terminal – and all bookings have been cancelled.
Gusts of more than 45mph made it unsafe for the quayside ship-to-shore cranes to operate.
A port spokesman said an updated weather forecast had been received indicating high winds above safe operating limits for the remainder of today.
Lorries already en route wil be parked up on the port and once holding areas are full, Operation Stack will be set up and extra parkimng provided on the old A45 at Levington.
You may also want to watch:
“If and when prevailing conditions at the port allow for in-gating operations to resume, priority shall be given to those hauliers queued on site and already in possession of a valid booking,” said a spokesman.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge