Fen Farm Dairy picks up another prestigious award
- Credit: Archant
A Bungay farming family has been honoured yet again as it continues to transform a once struggling dairy business into a thriving market leader.
Jonathan and Dulcie Crickmore of Fen Farm Dairy received the Entrepreneur of the Year award at the ActionCOACH Business Excellence Awards dinner earlier this month.
It is the second time in three years the farm has won the award in just three years.
MORE: Suffolk medical equipment manufacturer secures first Spanish dealThe farm is famed for its raw milk, raw butter and Baron Bigod cheese – the only Brie-de-Meaux style cheese produced in the UK.
“This award means a huge amount to us”, said Mr Crickmore.
“We are excited to be proving that dairy farming can be profitable and that the dairy industry can provide exciting job opportunities for young people.”
You may also want to watch:
The win comes shortly after the family were named Best Manufacturer at the National Rural Business Awards in February.
Just six years ago, the business was in very different shape - barely able to make a profit and at the mercy of the commodity milk market.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
In a bid to create a brighter future, the Crickmore family took steps to diversify the farm, selling their raw cow’s milk direct to the public from the farm gate.
Following the success of farm gate sales, Mr Crickmore invested in a brand new cheesemaking facility.
And now Fen Farm Dairy are a fast-growing dairy producer, making over 60 tonnes per year of their popular Baron Bigod and employing a team of 15 local people.
Mr Crickmore attributes part of the company’s success to the help and advice of business coach Stephen Unwin – who the farm has been working with for four years.
He said: “Business coaching has been invaluable to us during the early years of our company’s expansion into new products and markets.
“I’m a great believer in the value of having experienced mentors at every stage of our development and we have benefited enormously from Stephen’s expertise as both a business owner himself, and a long-established coach.”
Last year the farm was subjected to a tirade of online abuse from vegan internet trolls. However the social media response was overwhelming with customers leaping to the firm’s defence - with sales and popularity rising as a result.