Insight into electricity generation for students
- Credit: Archant
Twenty Suffolk students will be joining Sizewell B power station to get a taste of the real world of work.
Four engineering students from Suffolk One in Ipswich joined Sizewell B this week.
Olly Fisher, 17, Brandon Burgess, 17, Amber Webb, 16 and Connor Fowler, 17, all opted to join the Sizewell B maintenance department.
The maintenance department looks after the power station equipment ensuring that Sizewell B can safely and reliably generate power for 2.5 million homes and businesses.
Brandon Burgess would like to apply for an EDF Energy degree apprenticeship in engineering when he completes his B-TECH. He said: “I have always been interested in Physics, Chemistry and Maths, so the idea of combining them all and earning a living at the same time really appeals to me.”
You may also want to watch:
Olly Fisher added: “I am a practical person so spending time with the maintenance team at Sizewell B has been great. I don’t want to sit at a desk from 9-5 I would like to do something more ‘hands-on.”
Paul Morton, Sizewell B station director said: “Work experience is an important step in preparing students for life after school. With Sizewell C progressing well and Sizewell B providing employment for over 800 local people it is vital to ensure we have the right skills in place locally for generations to come.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Busy high street taped off by police
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches