Fitness firm launches commmunity initiative to tackle obesity
- Credit: Archant
A fitness firm based at Witham is offering a free class every week to help combat obesity problems in the area.
DS Fitness Experience in Newlands Shopping Centre, which launched the community initiative last week, said it hoped to offer a structured environment for people to train.
To sign up, residents fill out a health and safety form and pay a one-off £5 membership card fee, and can attend one class a week for free, with no monthly costs for as long as they wish. The initiative follows figures showing one in four adults in the Witham area were classified as obese, and more than 8% were registered as diabetic – both higher than the national average. Club manager Mark Jones said: “This is purely a non-commercial community initiative, with no strings attached and all we ask is for a £5 donation to cover the cost of the membership cards. We are just looking to promote fitness to combat these rising health problems in our area.”
The survey also recognised that local residents felt the cost of gym memberships and exercise classes in the area were the main barriers to them improving their general health.
Lucy Mitchell, director at NewRiver Retail, which owns the Newlands Shopping Centre, described the initiative as “fantastic and extremely generous”.
You may also want to watch:
“More needs to be done in the local area to help tackle health problems and I hope that many residents will sign up,” she said.
- 1 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card