Colchester’s shopping centre sees marked improvement
- Credit: Archant
Lion Walk shopping centre, Colchester reports an excellent 2017
Colchester is defying the gloom around the nation’s high streets.
In an ever-changing, and at times particularly challenging retail landscape, Colchester’s Lion Walk Shopping Centre has issued some encouraging figures which reflect the enormous support given by both the townspeople and tourists in the region.
Lion Walk Shopping Centre manager Peter Scopes reported an increase in footfall from 3.4 million to 3.6 million during the final quarter of 2017.
And in a particularly cheering statistic for Colchester retail businesses, Peter added that although the year on year national average benchmark for all UK shopping centres was -2.45%, Lion Walk had operated at 8% above its previous year’s figures.
“This is immensely positive news for Lion Walk Shopping Centre,” said Mr Scopes. “At a time when the retail offering of many towns are struggling, we are going from strength to strength, thanks to a combination of exciting and determined retailers, and a hugely supportive community of shopping in Colchester, and of course, further afield.
“Highlights include a vibrant independent scene in Red Lion Yard, and the transformation of the old, empty unit previously occupied by BHS, to the massively successful Primark.
- 1 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 2 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 3 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 4 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 5 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 6 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 7 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 8 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 9 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 10 Motorists stopped for speeding during enforcement checks
“Colchester can be proud of its retail offering,” he added.
The Lion Walk Shopping Centre, measuring 253,996 sq ft, opened in 1976/
It is located in the heart of Colchester town centre and is the main fashion pitch in the town. It is home to more than 40 of Britain’s top retail brands, including Primark, Marks & Spencer, Topshop, River Island and New Look.