Foundry firm goes into administration
A FOUNDRY company behind some of the UK’s best-known cast sculptures, and now based in Essex, has gone into administration.
Matt Bond and Jason Godefroy of insolvency specialist MCR have been appointed as joint administrators of Art Founders Ltd, which is based in Braintree and trades as the Morris Singer Art Foundry.
The business, which is continuing to trade while a buyer is sought, was founded in 1848 in Frome, Somerset, by silversmith John Webb Singer and moved to London following its merger with the Morris Art Bronze Foundry in 1927 when the Morris Singer name was adopted.
Including the period before the merger, its works have included the fountain and two of the lions in Trafalgar Square, the figure of Justice which sits on top of the Old Bailey and the statue of Boadicea (Boudica) outside the Houses of Parliament.
The Morris Singer brand was acquired by Art Founders Ltd at the end of 2005 and it is now based on the Springwood Industrial Estte in Braintree, where it employs a staff of 15.
Matt Bond, a partner at MCR, said: “Unfortunately, despite its heritage and customer base, the business has fallen into a loss-making position and is unable to continue in its current form.
“We are currently looking for a buyer for the business and assets as soon as possible,” he added.
- 1 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 2 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 3 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 4 Andy Warren: Why keeping Sam Morsy is vital for Ipswich Town
- 5 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 6 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 9 Julia Bradbury's feature on 'beautiful' Sudbury airs on This Morning today
- 10 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
Morris Singer has capacity and capability to handle most kinds of casting, modelling, enlarging, chasing, refurbishing and patination of various materials including bronze, aluminium and precious metals.