Furnishings store remains on track
WORK on Glasswells' new 73,000 sq ft home furnishings showroom in Ipswich is on track for its scheduled pre-Christmas opening. The new store, mirroring Glasswells' showroom in Bury St Edmunds, is set to provide a major retail and jobs boost for Ipswich when it opens in December on the Orwell Retail Park.
WORK on Glasswells' new 73,000 sq ft home furnishings showroom in Ipswich is on track for its scheduled pre-Christmas opening.
The new store, mirroring Glasswells' showroom in Bury St Edmunds, is set to provide a major retail and jobs boost for Ipswich when it opens in December on the Orwell Retail Park.
The £5million investment includes the addition of a 35,000 sq ft mezzanine floor within the building - formerly occupied by Courts - which involves around 100 tonnes of steel.
Building work, being led by Barnes Construction, has seen 145 piles bored to provide foundations and the fabrication work is now at an advanced stage.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Glasswell, who is managing director of Glasswells, said: “Since work began a little over two months ago everyone has been working very hard to make sure we're open in good time for Christmas. We've set ourselves a tight schedule, and I'm delighted to say that all is on track.”
Under the one roof will be a wide array of home furnishings, an in-store designer service and contract furnishing for businesses, plus an in-store restaurant.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
Glasswells is a 60 year old family business, set up by Paul Glasswell's father, Leslie (who is still chairman of the company) and grandfather Jerry in Bury St Edmunds. Glasswells also has showrooms in Martlesham Heath, Saffron Walden and Haverhill and also specialises in contract furnishings, furniture removals and storage.
The other stores on the Orwell Retail Park will remain unchanged as a result of the development of the Glasswells store.