Good sports gather for bar launch
A NEW sports bar launched in Ipswich aims to combine Italian fine dining with a feast of sports entertainment.
Bar Sportivo kicked off last week in the town’s Great Colman Street. It has teamed up with La Galleria Italian restaurant, which opened two years ago, to provide a relaxed, sports-orientated venue for lovers of the Beautiful Game.
The bar, below, is run by Daine Lomas, whose father, ex-Ipswich Town footballer Mark Lomas is a silent partner in the venture, while above, diners can enjoy Italian fine dining under La Galleria proprietor Nello Staiano.
Memorabilia from Mark Lomas, who forged a new career as a solicitor and businessman after retiring from football, adorns the walls. Mr Lomas senior got to know Mr Staiano when he became one of his law clients.
“We thought integrating a smart lounge/sports bar with an Italian restaurant with fine dining would be a good idea,” said Mr Lomas. “It promises to be an exciting new venture aimed at those who want to watch sport in a comfortable, relaxed venue with choices of light bite food coupled withfine dining offered by Nello.
“Continuing with the excellent service that Nello has provided since opening, we will be offering table service throughout the World Cup.”
Mr Lomas, now 47, who has kept in contact with many people from his footballing days, said when he was looking for somewhere to watch football matches, he found there was nowhere he felt comfortable going.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
He believes there is a gap in the market in Ipswich for a venture such as theirs and says he wants to attract men, women and families to the sports-oriented venue.