'Green' building materials hit new high
A SUFFOLK company is building up to new heights after scooping a place in the semi-finals of a national business award. Needham Market-based Earth and Reed, which supplies environmentally-friendly building and decorating materials, is among four companies competing in the small business category of the 2008 Barclays Commercial Bank Green Leaders in Business Awards.
A SUFFOLK company is building up to new heights after scooping a place in the semi-finals of a national business award.
Needham Market-based Earth and Reed, which supplies environmentally-friendly building and decorating materials, is among four companies competing in the small business category of the 2008 Barclays Commercial Bank Green Leaders in Business Awards.
The firm was founded by Christopher North, a historic building adviser with a Master of Science degree in timber building conservation, and Margery Ward, who has a degree in earth sciences. Both have a strong interest in environmental issues and building sustainability.
Their business supplies a range of materials to retail and trade customers, both from their shop and by mail order.
You may also want to watch:
They promote British-made products where possible, and are also responsible for the manufacture of environmentally friendly coatings products Suffolk Green Paints.
Barclays Commercial Bank marketing director Richard French said: “We hope the success of Earth and Reed will inspire other small companies to find innovative ways of doing business that will build a new economy which is both realistic and sustainable.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
Earth and Reed is one of 25 companies battling it out to be named as one of 12 national finalists in the contest.
If successful, they will be invited to present to an expert judging panel, chaired by leading environmentalist Tom Burke and including The Carbon Trust, Bloomberg and the WWF.
Barclays marketing director for local business John Davis said: “Green leaders has highlighted the aspirational work of companies on a real mission to embrace a greener way of life.
“Working in industries typically associated with waste and environmentally harmful practices, Earth and Reed are responsible for revolutionising the way we think about saving our planet. It is a great achievement for Earth and Reed to have reached the semi finalist phase and we wish them every success in the future.”
The winners will be announced at a gala lunch at the East Winter Gardens in London.