Small furry animals are big business for pet food maker
- Credit: Cliqq Photography
Suffolk-based Supreme Petfoods, a company which makes food for small pets, is seeing growing success.
Supreme Petfoods, based in Hadleigh, has been reaping mutiple awards for its products - both at home and internationally.
Last year saw it win four major awards and this year the company was voted number one by retailers in the Pet Product Marketing Retailer Recommended Awards - winning Small Animal Product of the Year and Product Innovation of the Year.
This latest award was across all pet product categories and all pets.
It could all be due to millenials who are increasingly appreciative of small furry animals.
Small pets are increasingly popular with those who lack space, money or time to commit to a cat or dog.
Small pets are also more portable - some owners will even take their hamsters in travel carriers to visit famiy and friends.
- 1 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 2 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 5 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
- 6 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 7 'New-look' Aldi store set to reopen in Sudbury, creating additional jobs
- 8 Bent names Town stars among his best-ever team-mates
- 9 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 10 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
On social media too, videos of antics of small pets especially at meal time, have proven to be a real hit.
The company’s products are stocked in vets and pet shops in the UK, across Europe and the USA.
The company’s winning Selective range is known for its `clean eating’ credentials with high fibre and no added sugar.
There is even a grain-free product for rabbit owners to choose.
Markeing manager Claire Hamblion says these days rabbit owners see their pets more as valued companions rather than children’s pets and lavish high levels of care. They also want to apply their own values and have their pets benefit from some of the things they care about too.
“Some rabbits live in the house with their owners all year round, with access to custom made runs that allow them to stretch and run outdoors to keep them fit and active.”
Supreme Petfoods is based at Hadleigh and Acton, Sudbury.