Haulage firm S M Direct moves up a gear with delivery of new truck
- Credit: Archant
A specialist light haulage business is celebrating after taking possession of a new Iveco truck.
S M Direct managing director Stuart McBurney said the arrival of the 7.5tonne truck at the firm, based at Horham Business Park, at Denham, near Eye, was part of the ongoing expansion of the business, which next year celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The vehicle for the former Future 50 firm, which operates across Suffolk, Essex, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and the rest of the UK, was sourced from Iveco dealer the Hammond Group in Halesworth.
Stuart, the son of a lorry driver, started his haulage business about nine years ago with a £500 lorry, and an unpromising start.
“It broke down on the first day on the Orwell bridge,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We have built the business up from there. We don’t solely deliver pallets – we do bespoke delivery – square peg, round hole. We work with blue chip companies to one man micro business to the NHS. We can also now provide warehousing for clients.
“Hammonds have supported us from day one with our continued growth. They get our business ethos and needs, being a family-run business.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
Andy Overy and Stuart Richardson were instrumental in sourcing the new vehicle, he said.
“We hope to add a few more trucks from Hammonds to keep our fleet up to date,” he added.