Hectic Suffolk Young Farmers events schedule winds down ahead of harvest
- Credit: Archant
The end is in sight for the county office staff, with recent weeks really showing just how busy Young Farmers can be.
Over the last month we saw the judging of our Fram Farmers Wheat competition, with our judges – Marion Self from Prime Ag and Angus Hamilton from Little Stonham – taking a trip around the county on one of those very rare sunny days we’ve had, writes Tory Lugsden.
The judges were hugely complimentary about the standard of the crops and we were very proud of our competitors. Huge thanks to Marion and Angus for giving up their time, anc congratulations to Oliver Styles of Gipping Valley for winning the junior competition and to Chris Bull of Stowmarket for taking the senior win.
The craziest day of the Young Farmers year took place on June 11 with our Summer Rally, involving a huge range of competitions from cheese straw making to Mr Suffolk YFC, float building (and water fighting) to a lip sync battle – who knew county chair Tom Walne was such a great Carly Rae Jepsen impersonator?
A great day was had by all and, despite torrential rain in the afternoon, the competitions were very strong throughout all classes. It was a huge delight to Halesworth to take the senior win, for the first time for many years, and to Brett Valley for the junior win.
You may also want to watch:
Over the last week, members have been taking on our biggest fundraising event of the year with our annual Muck Move. We would like to thank to Kerr Farms and Taylor Farms for letting us have the opportunity to raise funds by moving their muck and limex over the past six days. The weather has been somewhat challenging, with torrential rain on and off, but the boys and girls have managed to do a great job despite many challenges throughout the week.
Without the support of our local machinery dealers and contractors none of this would be possible, and we would like to say a huge thank you to Agrihire, P Tuckwells, Thurlow Nunn Standen, Ernest Doe, Marlesford, Peter Steward, Ardent Hire and Phillip Liverton Ltd for their kind loan of machinery.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
This weekend is our annual ball and awards dinner where the seniors celebrate the end of a fantastic YFC year prior to harvest. The junior members have their awards garden party on July 8 and we are hoping for a lovely summer evening for this.
We wish all of our members, supporters and farmers a safe and plentiful harvest and let’s hope this boring weather starts to behave like a proper English summer soon.