Longer opening hours for new post office
- Credit: Archant
Colchester Post Office is to move from its historic site in North Hill to a new home inside the WH Smith store in Lion Walk Shopping Centre.
The move is expected to take place in May, with the current post office closing at end-of-business on May 1, and the relocated post office opening to customers for the first time on Thursday May 2, 2019.
A spokesman for the post office said the decision had been made, after a period of consultation, and the new post office would be open seven days a week.
Roger Gale, Post Office Network and Sales director, said that the change would help to ensure the branch is commercially viable into the future and therefore protect Post Office services on which customers in the area depend.
He said:“The Post Office is committed to keeping our services at the heart of communities which we know is hugely important to people. This change means we can continue to do that, into the future. We are making sure we take the right action to sustain services for years to come.”
He said it would be a modern, open plan office, with six serving positions and four self-service kiosks.
It would offer over the counter banking services too, he added.
- 1 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 2 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 6 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 7 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 8 Excitement builds as Suffolk Show venue wakes up
- 9 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 10 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
Services would be available from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Saturday, with Sunday opening from 10.30am to 2.30pm.
The Post Office said WH Smith had successfully operated post office branches, across the country, for a number of years.
It is a trading model which is similar to the situation in Ipswich, where there is now a post office based within the WH Smith stationery, books and newspaper shop in Westgate Street.
It is only a few yards from Ipswich Cornhill where the general post office was based for decades.
In Colchester the new WH Smith post office is only a short distance from its present home of Colchester Post Office.