Self storage firms see rise in demand as homeowners choose to upgrade properties over moving house
- Credit: Photo: Keith Mindham Photography
A self storage company is celebrating a sales boost – as homeowners opt to do up their properties rather than move home.
HomeStore Ipswich boss Martin Tuck believes Brexit uncertainty and the cost of moving had both contributed towards the trend among homeowners to refurbish their existing properties instead.
The Suffolk-based business, which has facilities in the town's Ransomes Europark, as well as Anglian Lane Industrial Estate in Bury St Edmunds, said it was seeing record numbers of domestic customers as a result.
They are storing furniture and other household items while their properties are extended, refurbished or decorated.
Historically, the business has catered significantly more for business users than domestic, but the rise means rented space is now split equally between the two.
You may also want to watch:
"Our facilities are currently seeing increasing popularity with domestic customers who for a range of reasons - including Brexit uncertainty and the cost of moving - are refurbishing or extending their properties, rather than moving house," said Mr Tuck
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 5 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 6 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 10 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack