Ipswich: Another pub under threat of conversion - this time into supermarket
IPSWICH: Another pub in the town is facing an uncertain future after its owner applied for permission to convert it into a supermarket.
The Golden Key on Woodbridge Road remains open, but owner Greene King has submitted a planning application for the conversion to the borough.
It wants the building to be extended and converted into a neighbourhood supermarket aimed at serving local residents within walking distance.
Local residents believe that the pub is likely to become a small Tesco store, but a spokesman for Greene King said the application was “speculative.”
The application does not mention any supermarket operator as being interested in the site – and The Evening Star understands that planning officials at the borough are also unaware of any retailer being interested.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Spencer, operations director of Greene King Pub Partners, said: “Following a review of our pub estate, we are considering long term plans for the Golden Key.
“In view of this a speculative planning application has been submitted to convert and extend the pub to become potential retail facilities.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
“The planning stage is expected to last for at least another six weeks and therefore no firm decision will be made until then. In the meantime the pub remains open for business as usual.”
Local councillor Neil Macdonald, who is also deputy leader of the borough, said he and his colleagues had contacted local residents to tell them about the application.
He said: “We don’t know whether people will be for or against this application.
“We just want people to know it has been received by the borough and to let them know how to make their opinions heard.”
n Are you a regular at the Golden Key pub? What do you think about the idea of converting it into a supermarket? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or alternatively you can e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar. co.uk