Ipswich-based Midas powers UCI Track Cycling World Championships
- Credit: PA
Suffolk power solutions specialist Midas supplied generators and distribution equipment to the UCI Track Cycling World Championships which were held at the Lee Valley VeloPark at the weekend and saw Great Britain top the medals table.
Laura Trott picked up two golds at the event with Sir Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish and Jason Kenny among the other local heroes.
Ipswich-based Midas took more than 20 tons of diesel generators and related equipment to the site, fitting and feeding 1,200 individual 13-amp sockets.
The company provided power for six different press areas, team hubs in the middle of the circuit, storage containers outside the venue and catering facilities, including corporate and VIP hospitality.
The UCI Track Cycling World Championships dwarfed the track cycling element at the London 2012 Olympics, also held at the VeloPark, with 390 riders from 45 nations participating.
Tickets for the event were completely sold out, including the heats as well as the finals.
Midas managing director David Noble said: “When we’re live, with 6,000 people in [the arena], and pictures are being pushed around the world, it’s about having the right team to work through a solution if anything goes wrong,”
- 1 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 3 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 4 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 5 'The children were buzzing' - Ed Sheeran sends video to Suffolk school
- 6 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 7 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 8 Ranking every League One away kit from worst to first
- 9 Green light for eight homes in Suffolk village after plans revised
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
British Cycling’s event delivery manager, Stuart Tomlinson, added: “Of all our suppliers, Midas does the longest stint, on site for two and half weeks, and it was a huge support.”