Ipswich: BOCM Pauls owner tops regional private company listing
THE parent company of Suffolk-based animal feed manufacturer BOCM Pauls has again topped the East Anglia list in an annual ranking of the UK’s leading mid-market private companies.
Agricola Group is ranked 33rd in this year’s Sunday Times HSBC Top Track 250, down from ninth place last year but still the biggest in the region with annual turnover of �428.3million.
The Ipswich-based company, which has a workforce of 961 and is 91% owned by its management and staff, with the remaining 9% owned by Electra Investment Trust, which backed a management buy-out in 1998, made a profit of �14.3million last year.
In second place within the region, and ranked 70th nationally, is turkey producer Bernard Matthews Farms, with annual sales of �330.5m.
The company, which has sites in Suffolk and Norfolk remains 100% owned by the Matthews family following the death of founder Bernard Matthews last November, employs a total of 3,858 people and reported a profit of �2.5m in 2009.
Third placed in the region, and 82nd nationally, is Norwich-based offshore services provider Acteon, with sales of �310.9m last year.
In fourth place, and ranked 87th nationally, is Peterborough insurance intermediary BGL Group with sales in the year to June last year of �302.2m
- 1 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 5 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
- 6 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 7 'I like his profile' - McKenna looking forward to working with Ndaba
- 8 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 9 Man exposes himself to two women on Thorpeness beach
- 10 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
Completing the top five in East Anglia is G’s, the salad and vegetable grower based at Barway, near Ely, which is ranked 94th nationally with sales of �293.4m for the year to May last year.
In 10th place in the region, and 181st nationally is Diss-based audio visual products distributor Midwich, with sale of �201.9m last year.
The full listing is to be published this weekend.