Ipswich: Milly’s and Willy’s coffee shop owners launch Doorsteps sandwich bar
- Credit: Archant
Another family business has opened in St Nicholas Street, in the centre of Ipswich. with the launch of Doorsteps sandwich bar and coffee shop.
For former teachers Steve and Judith Weale, it is a second business in the town, as they already run Milly’s and Willy’s coffee bar and takeaway in Northgate Street.
Mrs Weale said: “We have been running Willy’s and Milly’s for four years in August. It is a second career for us. We are both teachers and worked locally. I left six years ago and Steve stopped teaching last year.”
The two coffee shops will be a true family business.
Daughter Becky has designed the decor and signs for Doorsteps and both she and her brother, David, will be working in the two businesses around their university commitments.
Mr and Mrs Weale did the decorating and fitting out themselves throughout the weekend.
They took over the former Arnie’s sandwich shop four weeks ago.
- 1 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 2 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 3 Woman in her 70s dies after serious crash in Hadleigh
- 4 Missing 66-year-old woman from west Suffolk found safe
- 5 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 6 Suffolk's Covid rate trebles as experts warn virus 'hasn't gone away'
- 7 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 8 Plans for second village school scrapped in favour of bigger site
- 9 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 10 Ipswich Town away shirt sales up by 138%!
“It is all very exciting,” said Mrs Weale. “This is a lovely building. Just like a house, when you walk in the door, it felt just right.
“We have designed the kitchen and serving area carefully to leave space for tables and chairs.
“It will be somewhere for people to relax, as well as come in to get their lunches. We will be doing sandwiches, rolls, jacket potatoes and salads, cakes and snacks.
“We have our own specially blended coffee from the Suffolk Coffee Company, at Peasenhall.”
Historic St Nicholas Street and adjoining St Peter’s Street are a main route linking Ipswich town centre with the Waterfront, and are an up-and-coming area of town, said Mr Weale. “It is a really nice road, and most of the shops are independent,” he said. “We had been looking for somewhere else for some time. We looked at a couple locally and one in the Lake District, but that was impractical.” And why Doorsteps?
“It is associated with doorstep sandwiches,” explained Mr Weale, “and there are steps down from the street.”