Ipswich: Success for UCS students in Institute of Hospitality hotel mamangement competition
- Credit: Archant
A team featuring UCS students has been shortlisted for the finals of the Institute of Hospitality Business Game Competition 2014, following successful completion of the first online phase.
The first stage of the competition was an online challenge which tasked teams to use HOTS (Hotel, Operations, Tactics and Strategy) business simulation to successfully manage a 125-bedroom virtual hotel, focussing specifically on teams making successful business decisions across 11 key management areas, including human resources, finance and marketing.
The shortlisted teams will now participate in the live final of the Business Game Competition, which takes place at University College Birmingham on Monday March 17, competing for the honour of being crowned Best Hotelier 2014.
The UCS team, led by management lecturer Stephen Sawyers, includes five students on Business and Event Management degrees; Thomas James, Tuba Simsek, Hannah Palfrey, Margaux Deygat, and Perrie Collier.
Lecturer Stephen Sawyers said: “It is very exciting. The finalists included some high-powered competitors from places like Leeds and Manchester.
“We have been told to turn up with two empty lap-tops, and no internet acccess, ready for the finals.
“There are two events on the day, a public speaking competition and this one.
- 1 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 2 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 5 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
- 6 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 7 'I like his profile' - McKenna looking forward to working with Ndaba
- 8 Man exposes himself to two women on Thorpeness beach
- 9 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 10 'Bonne Mania' made us all smile... it faded but we'll always have the memories
“We have a very interesting group of final years students and whatever happens, it is fantastic to have this on their CV when they later go for jobs or interviews.”