Isleham: Produce World carrot producer George Rivers celebrates 40 years
- Credit: Archant
A carrot producer who has spent four decades with the same firm says he enjoys his work as much now as he did when he started out.
George Rivers, supply chain and site director at Produce World Isleham and Yaxley, celebrates 40 years of service to the company this month.
George joined the Produce World Group in the days of Greens of Soham on July 1, 1974. Since then he has also worked under the company name of Hassy Ltd, Isleham Carrot Growers, Clem Tompsett and now Produce World Group.
Although trained in business law and accountancy, George’s first job was as a management trainee at the Co-op in Newmarket. He went on to join Greens of Soham as assistant transport manager. From there he progressed up through the distribution and supply chain ranks of the business.
He has seen the site at Isleham, which lies close to the Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border near Mildenhall, under the management of three major fresh produce families.
You may also want to watch:
“During my time at Produce World I have really seen some developments, both in terms of technology and business. I have been able to work in all areas of the company from commercial to logistics, distribution, management and technology, which have helped me to work in my position of site director today”, he said.
“I am enjoying my work today as much as I did at the time I started. Things may have developed and faces changed but the product remains as dynamic as ever.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
“What I love most about the fresh produce sector is the people. Everyone has such a great attitude and passion for their work. I love it.”
Not only is George an experienced carrot producer, but also a keen and successful sportsman.
George “Rivelino” Rivers was a semi-pro footballer, playing for Newmarket Town Football Club, and managed several local clubs. He ran the London Marathon in an impressive two hours and 49 minutes and takes part in other sports including road cycling, water skiing and, more recently, speed canoeing and golf.