Jobs to go at pork plant
PORK products firm Tulip UK`is shedding up to 90 jobs at its Dalehead Foods site in Linton on the Suffolk-Cambridgeshire border, it has emerged.The move is in addition to last week's announcement that around 70 jobs would be axed with the closure of the company's cooked bacon factory in Thetford.
PORK products firm Tulip UK`is shedding up to 90 jobs at its Dalehead Foods site in Linton on the Suffolk-Cambridgeshire border, it has emerged.
The move is in addition to last week's announcement that around 70 jobs would be axed with the closure of the company's cooked bacon factory in Thetford.
Dalehead Foods is one of three divisions of Tulip in the UK with operations in Linton, Bury St Edmunds, Corsham and Stradbroke and is one of the largest employers for the Haverhill area.
Tulip's decision to close the abattoir at the site will result in a cut of nearly a quarter of the workforce at the Cambridgeshire division. Management are currently in consultation with employees.
Managing director John Hughes described the news as “disappointing”.
“We have previously explored the possibility of building a new abattoir at Linton at a projected cost of �18 million,” he said. “However given the spare capacity at Tulip's modern abattoir in Spalding, acquired as part of its purchase of George Adams in December 2007, it no longer makes commercial sense to do so.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
“Our priority now is to work with the employees in the affected areas of the business to do whatever we can to lessen the potential impact.”
He added that it was “business as usual” for other operations at the Linton site.
Tulip Ltd is the UK arm of Tulip International and the largest producer of pork products in the UK, currently operating 21 factories across the country, employing around 8,000 people.