John Lewis Partnership does not expect a half year profit
- Credit: PA
UK retailer John Lewis is about to close a number of its Waitrose food stores and warns over profits.
The John Lewis Partnership has warned over profits and said that it will close some Waitrose food stores as tough trading on the high street takes its toll on the firm.
The group, which is hosting a strategy day, said that it does not expect to make a half year profit, while profits for the full year will come in “substantially” lower than last year.
It is the latest round in a crisis in retail which has included Toys R Us, Maplin annd Poundworld.
Waitrose will exit four convenience shops and one small supermarket.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Charlie Mayfield, chairman of the John Lewis Partnership, said: “It is very important that we feel the jeopardy of what is happening right now.
“This isn’t a blip, it is a major shift and it has a while to run.”
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 9 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
The company pointed to “market uncertainty” and cited significant extra costs at the partnership as a result of “greater IT investment”, which it said will be a big driver behind the profit change.
Waitrose is expected to see profit growth and John Lewis a decline.
John Lewis Partnership has John Lewis and Waitrose stores at Futura Park on the east side of Ipswich, and a small Waitrose store in Ipswich town centre.
The Waitrose stores that are closing are:
Colemore Row, Birmingham
Portman Square, London