John Lewis Partnership does not expect a half year profit
- Credit: PA
UK retailer John Lewis is about to close a number of its Waitrose food stores and warns over profits.
The John Lewis Partnership has warned over profits and said that it will close some Waitrose food stores as tough trading on the high street takes its toll on the firm.
The group, which is hosting a strategy day, said that it does not expect to make a half year profit, while profits for the full year will come in “substantially” lower than last year.
It is the latest round in a crisis in retail which has included Toys R Us, Maplin annd Poundworld.
Waitrose will exit four convenience shops and one small supermarket.
Sir Charlie Mayfield, chairman of the John Lewis Partnership, said: “It is very important that we feel the jeopardy of what is happening right now.
“This isn’t a blip, it is a major shift and it has a while to run.”
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 4 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 10 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
The company pointed to “market uncertainty” and cited significant extra costs at the partnership as a result of “greater IT investment”, which it said will be a big driver behind the profit change.
Waitrose is expected to see profit growth and John Lewis a decline.
John Lewis Partnership has John Lewis and Waitrose stores at Futura Park on the east side of Ipswich, and a small Waitrose store in Ipswich town centre.
The Waitrose stores that are closing are:
Colemore Row, Birmingham
Portman Square, London