Land owned by Tesco in Ropes Drive Kesgrave could be sold for community use
Land next to the Tesco store in Kesgrave could be used for community projects, if plans by the retailer to sell the space go through.
The store, in Ropes Drive, Kesgrave, has two plots of green land on either side of the building that have been largely unused for the last decade, prompting the store to open talks with potential buyers.
A spokesman from the store yesterday confirmed there were plans to sell the land, and added: “We are in discussions regarding the potential sale of the land, and will keep the local community updated.”
The retailer is in talks with Kesgrave Town Council, with potential uses raised at last month’s council meeting including a community cafe or play area. It is understood that Tesco has valued the land at £300,000, but the town council has undergone a process to establish an additional valuation.
A town council spokeswoman said: “The town council will discuss the outcome of the red book valuation and decide the next steps in conjunction with the detail contained within this document.”
You may also want to watch:
The matter is due to be discussed at the full town council meeting on Monday. It is understood that the land could be put onto the open market if councillors were unable to commit, although a store spokesman was unable to confirm whether any developers had expressed an interest.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!