All weather power pair win award
- Credit: www.jcpa.co.uk
A Suffolk duo who keep the lights on in their communities through all weathers, has won a special award that recognises.
Karl Lawrence and Simon Eckles, both from the Stowmarket area, have been a linesperson team for electricity distributor UK Power Networks for more two years, and have known each other since they started as apprentices ten years ago.
They help keep the lights on for 3.5million homes and businesses across the East of England.
The pair were recognised by their employer at a ceremony in London, for continually providing excellent customer service, finding solutions for every challenging situation and taking pride in their work.
Simon, 30, from Stowmarket, has been working as a linesperson for ten years. “Our job is to fix and maintain the overhead power lines, which can mean working in all weathers to repair a fault or to install new connections for customers. The majority of our work is done from a hoist but we also use scaffolding, ladders and climbers on the wood poles.”
You may also want to watch:
Karl, 28, from Old Newton, added: “In other words we keep the lights on.”
They both said the best part of their job is the people - including those they work with at UK Power Networks and also the customers. Whether they have fixed a problem and got the lights back on, or switched on a new service, it was very satisfying seeing a job through from planning to completion.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 5 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 6 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 7 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 8 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 9 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 10 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
Simon explained: “I try and deliver the kind of service I would expect if someone turned up at my house”.
Karl said they were delighted to win the Living Our Values Linesperson Duo award, and winning it was unexpected.