Lord Heseltine to lead drive to find jobs for axed Teesside steelworkers
- Credit: PA
A new inward investment programme aimed at helping find jobs for steelworkers in a region hit by a wave of redundancies is to be chaired by Lord Heseltine.
The former deputy prime minister will head up the Tees Valley Inward Investment Initiative, which will work to boost economic growth and attract foreign investment.
The area has been hit by the crisis in the steel industry, with thousands of job losses announced in recent weeks at plants including the SSI site in Redcar.
Business Secretary Sajid Javid said: “The closure of the SSI Steelworks plant was a huge blow to local people. On top of the up to £80 million package of direct support, we are determined to do all we can to secure long-term growth for the area and people of Teesside.
“Michael has a record of getting things done. He has a wealth of experience of working closely with local communities, business acumen and passion for investment and regeneration, and it’s a real coup he’s agreed to take on this job.”
You may also want to watch:
Lord Heseltine said: “It is a great honour to be asked to help with the Government response to the sad events in the steel industry in Teesside.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm