Lowestoft: Electricals retailer Hughes invests £600,000 in flagship store
- Credit: Archant
EAST Anglia-based electricals retailer Hughes had invested more than £600,000 to create a flagship store in its home town of Lowestoft.
The company, which was formed in the town in 1921 and today has more than 30 branches, has doubled the size of its London Road North store after acquiring an adjoining building.
The ground floor now has an expanded range of kitchen appliances and computer equipment while on the first floor there is now a specialist audio visual department including the latest home cinema technology.
Hughes employs more than 750 people, including nearly 100 in Lowestoft, at the town centre store and its headquarters and service centre in Mobbs Way, and has turnover of more than £100million.
Company chairman Jim Hughes said: “We are all enormously proud to be a Lowestoft company so it seemed appropriate to further invest in the town and create our flagship outlet.
You may also want to watch:
“The high street in Lowestoft has suffered recently with store closures so we are pleased to be bucking the trend and putting something back into the town.”
Managing director Robert Hughes added: “There has been much doom and gloom concerning the future of the UK’s high street, and in particular the electrical sector with its much publicised failures.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 5 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 6 Body found in the River Orwell
- 7 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 8 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 9 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 10 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
“However, we firmly believe there is room for successful companies to expand in this area as long as they continue to provide outstanding customer service and make their stores pleasant places to visit.”
Hughes was named both Retailer of the Year and overall Business of the Year by Lowestoft & Waveney Chamber of Commerce in 2012 and was the preferred supplier of kitchen appliances to the London 2012 Olympic Games.