Lowestoft: Jonie has success sewn up
- Credit: Archant
A young Lowestoft woman who gained a masters degree in fashion knitwear design has been named as East Anglia’s young entrepreneur of the year at the inaugural Ixion Enterprise Awards 2013.
Jonie Worton’s business Bob and John Knitwear was also named best creative services business.
The awards recognise excellence among small business and start-ups in the area that have benefited from the Government’s New Enterprise Allowance programme.
Bob and John Knitwear creates fun and funky knitwear, including a range of interior and fashion products, including small and large letter cushions to personalise a room, lavender shapes and purses. The company’s range of products will expand in the autumn to include scarves, gloves and hats.
“All of the products are made from 100pc lambswool, with the fabric designed and knitted on a domestic knitting machine by me in my studio in Lowestoft,” said Ms Worton.
“It is then felted, cut and sewn by me to make the various different items. I started the business because I wanted to become self sufficient, use my skills and education and to fulfil a life long dream. I also want to do my bit to create employment in my local area.”
This year’s awards ceremony was held at Anglia Ruskin University’s Cambridge campus, where more than 100 guests joined John Govett, chief executive of Ixion Holdings and special guests, Cambridge MP Julian Huppert and Professor Gary Packham, deputy dean of the Lord Ashcroft International Business School at Anglia Ruskin University.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 7 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 8 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 9 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 10 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
Also celebrating was Norwich-based digital marketing agency Eastworks, which was named both best creative services business and Ixion’s enterprise of the year. Eastworks specialises in web design and development, social media campaigns, brand identity and online advertising.